Thursday, July 10, 2008

New E-mail!

What’s new in the summer quarter? The new Berkeley e-mail! Everyone has been talking about the new e-mail and discussing the advantages and the disadvantages. From listening to peoples conversations it has really been a love it or hate it program.

Some people say they love it for its new look, the convenience and reliability. It’s from Outlook so many people have been using a similar or the same program for many years. Blackboard did not use Outlook before but now students can get used to it. This is a good deal because many companies use Outlook. Students will have experience on Outlook and when they start work for a company they will already have the experience.

Other people hate it. They say it’s inconvenient, hard to use, complicated and annoying that you have to constantly sign in. You can set it so it remembers your e-mail on your computer but every time you’re on a different computer you have to type out the whole e-mail for example Aleksandra-kopec@mymail.berkeleycollege.edu. It just so happens that my name is long, but you get the picture. It can get agitating. Another reason students don’t like it is because if you use another program from the same company you have to keep switching log in’s.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I neither like it nor dislike it. I was having some issues with it because I couldn’t figure out how to forward my mail to another e-mail account. Because I like to avoid steps I forward all my mail to one e-mail so I only have to check one e-mail address. I have to admit it was complicated but I got some help.

Berkeley offers live online help which was great at helping me figure out how to forward my mail. It’s like instant messenger where you talk to a REAL person and they tell you step by step how to do something. At first I asked the librarian if she could help me and she was having the same issues as me. She tried very hard to figure it out but when I got the solution I printed out the steps for her. I’m sure other students will have similar questions. I like the features and options that it offers. To me it’s really not that complicated to use.

No comments: