Thursday, July 24, 2008

Internship Work

It is one day away from Six Flags, and I am very excited. I wish that we were leaving earlier than 10am, but at the same time I am glad that I am able to sleep in and enjoy my day. I took off from work so I don’t have to worry about that and most of my homework is done for my classes.

I had a lot of internship work piled up this week because I was very busy with other homework at the beginning of the week. I had to do more statistical work on our website as well as on our newsletters but it was fun and something that I definitely got to learn from. I am definitely in charge of more this quarter and it’s hard to determine what decisions I can make on my own and what I still need to ask for.
For example I had to make commercials last quarter for our new service and they were not launched yet on our website. Well, Joelle had asked me to send information to our web developer and tell him where to put what and pick images that will look best as a picture link on the website. It’s great knowing that I have such flexibility with my opinion and I can really express my creativity.

Last week Joelle tested me to see how comfortable I was about decision making. Every month we launch a newsletter that I crate and others edit. Well last week at the time of the launch Joelle was away and asked others to send me the input about the newsletter. When I got my input Joelle was not responding to my questions and I was confused as to what to do. I knew that the newsletter had to go out that night so instead of waiting for a response, I made my own edits based on others opinions and launched the newsletter myself.

I wasn’t sure if I had done the right thing, but I knew the edits were fine and the newsletter looked good. The next day Joelle told me that she was proud of me for taking that step on my own and launching the newsletter despite the fact that I was not getting feedback. I guess this was a lesson that you cannot always be a follower but sometimes you have to step up and do something on your own. I must say that it was a lesson learned!

No comments: