Tuesday, July 8, 2008

First Day of Classes

Vacation time is over, and we’re back in full swing. Yesterday was orientation which was really nice. I came to school at 9am and had to wait around a bit for Ms. Young. When we came into her office I noticed the lovely little thank you gifts she made for us. We each got a free t-shirt, planner, pen and Starbursts! It pays to get involved. There were about 100 new students starting in the summer which was a surprise to me. I didn’t think that many students wanted to go to school in the summer time!

We educated them about what Berkeley is about, what to expect from professors and explain some rules around the campus. The volunteers then played some games with the students. We played the name game and questions game where they got to ask me random questions they had about the school. It was fun answering them because I was able to be honest and give them a good view from a student’s perspective.

Today was such a hot day that I was so happy to be in an AC room for my class. It was my first day of class and I got to meet a new professor. She was very nice, funny and creative. We went over the syllabus and class requirements. We got a great deal that if we attend all classes with a perfect attendance we will not have to do one paper! I was so happy to hear this because the paper that is being dropped is a 15 page paper. I really did not want to write a 15 page paper at the end of my last quarter.

With new classes comes buying new books. For this class, Global Change, the book in the school bookstore was selling for $37 new, but I was told that book was being sold at Barnes and Noble for only $19.99! That’s almost 50% inflation! I thought that it was ridicules so I drove down to Barnes and Noble after class and got the book. You really have to do your book research for classes. It can save you a lot of money.

No comments: