Saturday, April 26, 2008

Graduation

Yesterday was the Berkeley graduation, and I had the pleasure to attend it and participate in it. We arrived there at 7:30am, and we started to direct traffic. Many students and parents arrived early, but there was no need because the doors to the IZOD center didn’t open till 8am anyway. The graduation started at 9am promptly. We started off with graduates coming in, then staff and then the presidential table.

I saw that all the professors were wearing their graduation gowns and caps. On the back of the graduation gowns you wear a hood that has different colors. For the longest time I was confused what each of the colors meant as well as the different types of caps and gowns. I asked someone what they meant because I was very curious. Apparently the different colors mean the school colors of where you have graduated from and the different gowns represent what degree you hold. Also, the type of cap that you have tells what degree you hold. It was very interesting.

There were a lot of graduates that were there! After all, Berkeley does have 7 different campuses. When it came to calling the names, they went by different degrees. It started off as Bachelors of Science, and it ended on Certificates. After they named all the students and handed them their pretend degrees they announced students of the year and different awards. It was really nice that they singled out specific students due to their achievements. I ran into some of the students that I have not seen for a while. I ran into Sarah, who was the original president of the International Business Club and also my friend Nicole who I went to the Leadership Retreat with in Baltimore.

After the graduation we went to Mt. Fuji as a thank you from the staff for helping out. It was really nice and it was cool watching someone cook for us. I got steak and lobster. After the meal we were so sleepy because we have all been up since 5am so went to sleep on the bus as we waited for everyone else to finish. It was a very nice day and I hope my graduation will be just as nice.

No comments: