Friday, April 4, 2008

First Class on Campus

Yesterday was my first Advanced Spreadsheets class, which is my only class on campus. The class starts at 6pm, and it ends at 8:30. The professor is very friendly to the students. At the beginning of the class he explained the syllabus, and what is expected of us for the class.

We then began work! At first the class wasn’t very exciting because we went over the basics of Excel. I wish the beginning was more interactive. We sat in front of the computers and just watched the professor do the work on the projector. Even though I have taken a similar class to this one, everything was somewhat new for me since we have changed from Word 2003 to Work 2007. Many features are the same, just different location. Even though it is an advanced class, we did go over many basics of the program. I’m glad we did this because it can be very confusing if you originally learned on the old system.

As to my internship, things are moving on smoothly. I thought when you have an internship you only have to put in your 25 hours and that’s it. Come to find out there is a class to it too. Not only do you have to commit 25 hours a week to the internship, but you also have to post on discussion boards and do weekly journals like a normal online class.

Weekly journals are done in a strange way. We are supposed to write weekly journals, but we are not allowed to submit any of them until the last week of class. I’m not really sure of the reason, but I wish we could submit them weekly to keep up. In the end its going to cause everyone having to upload things all at once which will be quite time consuming. Spreading the work out over the course would be much more efficient.

I made my first post for the week on the discussion board yesterday. This was our introduction, and we got to read about what other people are doing. It’s really interesting to read what jobs other students have and what they are up to. It’s a good way to get ideas off of each other.

1 comment:

Berkeley College Blog - NYC said...

Thanks for the comment. I see you are part of the student government. I wish to become an ambassador for the school since i was one in LaGuardia. Let me know how that can be achieved.