Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Survey's

With the end of the quarter comes a bunch of surveys. You have your class surveys to see how well the professor did teaching the class and then when you’re doing your internship you have your internship and Career Services survey. In this internship surveys you are asked what you think of Career Services and how they helped you in your journey through finding and participating in an internship as well as how they helped you in job search.

I liked that the survey was done to see our opinions but some questions don’t really apply with no option to say Not Applicable. My problem was that some questions asked how well Career Services assisted in helping me find a job. I have not searched for a job yet so I cannot really judge as to how well they did. I didn’t have an option to pick that it did not apply so I just chose the middle answer to be neutral. I know if I was having an issue with it other students did as well. Since many people answered differently with no experience I’m sure that somewhat altered the true results of how well Career Services has done its job. Sometimes things that are so simple are so easy to overlook.

Next quarter I am going to push for Student Development having a mandatory survey for students so that we can see their opinions on Student Development and different activities. College is no longer only about the education, but also about the experience and the people you get to meet. We want to provide the best experience to students but without knowing what they want it’s very hard to aim. We already know what students want that attend our events but there are still hundreds of students who do not. If we don’t hear what they have to say it’s very hard to know what to do in order to satisfy them. We can play around with ideas and see what works and doesn’t work but if an event is unsuccessful it’s a waste of money for Student Development. I will have to talk to the Dean about my idea and see how he feels about the idea.

No comments: