Tuesday, June 10, 2008

No Resume Skills :-(

I need a break! Not only is it 100 degrees outside (literally), but I have two 5-6 page papers due this week! This is the last week of classes so everyone is cramming last minute homework in. I have just finished one of my papers for my internship class. Our last assignment was to write at least 5 pages on the strategic analysis of our internship company. This included the internal and external analysis of the company. It took me about 3 hours but I finally got it done. It’s not yet edited but it’s done! I had to go take a pool break because I was dying from the heat!

So on another note, you will not believe this. I have a friend who recently graduated Rutgers University in the Criminal Justice major. He was never too fond of the school because it’s was big, crowded and no personal attention. There was no surprise to me there since it’s a big university but get this, he has NO IDEA on how to make a resume. I was appalled! How can you graduate college and not know how to make a resume?!?!

Berkeley offers so much help in this department that you cannot go wrong. You take a Microsoft Word class when you enter college that teaches you about resume’s, then you take your placement seminar before your internship that teaches you how to make a resume, cover letter, thank you letter etc, and if you still failed to pay attention to class you can always go to the Career Center and they will help you make one with you. I decided to help my friend write his resume and he was able to submit it today. I felt proud of myself and the knowledge that I have thanks to Berkeley but it’s scary students are graduating college and don’t know how to write a resume.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no need to post this to the public, this is just easier than emailing you :)

I still have no idea how I landed on your blog, but I'm glad I did. You have such an intersting cultural background and I'm sure that can be integrated into your resume. If it's not now, it should be. You have unique experiences, simply because you've lived on the border of European and American cultures. If your resume allows room for it, be sure to add that in somewhere, make it evident.

Berkely should have some kind of student resource center that will sit down with you and help you write your resume. Most good universities do, look somewhere online for their academic services branch.

I do wish you luck! I think my site might post associated with my name, it could be the resource you're looking for since it allows you to showcase your worth as a student as well as an individual.

:) Nicole