Friday, January 4, 2008

Overwhelming Online Classes

Ok, so I’m not going to lie, online classes are a lot of work! As I said in my previous blog, I got overwhelmed when I first saw all the writing and lectures from the professors. Yesterday I took a day off from everything and I finished all my work but it literally took me ALL day! When you look at all the information it’s confusing to differentiate assignments, from comments etc. What I did was take a pen and piece of paper and write down all the things I have to do in order. Example, first I have to read the lecture, then I have to read the book, review the PowerPoint slides, do the discussion board and then do the extra credit. When I put everything in order I checked off everything I did to make sure I did not miss anything. Another thing you could do if overwhelmed by all the work is print it out, and highlight the things you need to do. It really helped me a lot!

On Blackboard students are able to make their own webpages for each class. This was one of our assignments in my New Product Development class. This is an online class for me. I like this idea because even though you do not spend time in a classroom with the students, you still know who they are and things about them. You can even upload your own picture and view those posted by others to see the faces behind the names. When reading things on the discussion board, I like to see the picture of the person I am reading a post from. This makes the experience more personal and fun.

1 comment:

jim said...

Alex, may I call you Alex? Hello my name is jim. I am currently reflecting on returning to school. The online classes initially seemed like the way to go. After reviewing your brief synopsis of online classes, you have me thinking twice. Do you think online classes are good for a full time employee?