Thursday, January 10, 2008

Answer to Jim's Question

Today I saw that I got a comment from a man named Jim. I thought the comment was a very good one and I would post my response as a blog because I’m sure more than one person is curious about the answer. The comment read:

Alex, may I call you Alex? Hello my name is Jim. I am currently reflecting on returning to school. The online classes initially seemed like the way to go. After reviewing your brief synopsis of online classes, you have me thinking twice. Do you think online classes are good for a full time employee?

Well, dear Jim,
I think you should definitely return to college and if you are a busy man, online classes are definitely the way to go. I am not going to lie, seeing online classes for the first time I got very overwhelmed and I didn’t know where to begin. I am also a busy person as I’m sure you are. I work two jobs, I go to school full time as well as I am the president of two clubs on campus. Online classes offered me an opportunity to do substitute teaching and work on my classes. Now that I have gotten used to them I love them and I hope I can take online classes when I am doing my internship. I realized that I would normally spend about 3 hours in a classroom a week but the work that you do home with reading, assignments, and discussion boards don’t even equal out to the same amount. You save some time between travel, traffic,and waste of gas having to come to a campus.

One thing I noticed with online classes it is a lot more personal than a class in a classroom. When students gather on the discussion board they express themselves in a way they would not in a classroom. Everyone gets a voice. If you are the shy person who never speaks in a class, now you have your chance to open up and express yourself. People are more open online because they do not fear of people judging them. I have never seen a negative response or comment from other students to something someone has posted on the discussion board.

If you are motivated Jim, you will do great. The trick with online classes is to be organized and be able to meet deadlines. If you can do that you will get A’s in your classes. With Berkeley College if you decide you want to try a class on campus it’s not a problem. Berkeley lets you mix classes on campus and off without any extra fees or loss of credit. If you have an opportunity to go to college, take the opportunity because you never know what life may throw your way.

Hope I answered your question!

No comments: