Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Induction

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me, since I had the club convention as well as my induction ceremony. Work for my classes is slowly starting to pile up, but so far I have been able to handle them very well. Having two night classes gives me the opportunity to have all day to take care of my work as well as other errands that I need to run.

The club convention started at 11am yesterday and it lasted until 12pm. Since our last president left, I was bumped up to being the president, and the treasurer was bumped up to vice president. It will make things quite interesting because her name is Alexandra, and I’m Aleksandra. We have come to the conclusion that since she already has the money for club organized from her duties as treasurer last quarter, we will combine her position of treasurer with vice president. We both feel that it will be easier to keep track of things and since she has already opened up an account, it would be pointless to change it again.

During our club convention we were able to get about twenty new members. I know those are only names on the paper for now, but hopefully all of them will be able to show up to the meeting next Wednesday. I would like to see the club really come together and have students not only become members of a club but friends as well. I have a lot of activities planned that require a lot of team work and trust, therefore I hope it can bond the members together.

My induction ceremony began at 7pm, but the inductees had to be there at 6:30. My parents and I all traveled together so that we didn’t have to take two cars. When we arrived, the parents had to go sit down in the seating room, and the inductees had to stay in the hallway and line up. After we all lined up, Mr. Maher gave us instructions on how things will happen and what is expected of us. I was a little nervous because we had no previous practices, but when time came to go in, we all did very well.

I was very surprised at how many people attended the ceremony as well as how many people received awards from the school. I’m happy to see that Berkeley College has this many successful students as well as caring families that came to the ceremony.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Once the ceremony started it went by pretty quick. Some people gave speeches, and then they went into giving out the honor stoles. After the ceremony was over, the inductees had to go into the back and pick up their certificates. Besides getting the stole and certificates, we also received label pins, and car stickers. We then proceeded to the hallway where there were some dinner entrees along with fruit and vegetables. We were able to mingle for about two hours, but my family and I left after about 30 minutes since I still had some things to take care of.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have mentioned in a previous blog that I need to start looking for an internship, both to gain experience in my field of study and complete a requirement for my degree. About five days ago I looked at the Berkeley College Career Services website, and saw a position that will fit me well. It’s a Marketing Assistant position located in Saddle Brook. It’s kind of far from my house, but only about ten to fifteen minutes from the school. They mentioned that the hours are flexible, so hopefully I can plan my work hours around my school schedule. Since this job would be related to my career path, it should be able to qualify as an internship for the degree requirement. I should hear back from them sometime next week to see if I got the position.

Tomorrow is the Habitat for Humanity project that we are doing with the school. I heard that a lot of people will be attending. The school sent me an e-mail asking me if I would be interested in doing an interview on camera about the project, what I thought of the day and if I would be willing to interview other students. Of course I agreed since it will make things more interesting for me and it should be fun to hear the opinions of some of the other students.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much does berkeley pay you to blog from them?
I am planning on signning up myself so I was just curious. You can email me a granniebulb@yahoo.com

thanks

Home and Garden decor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home and Garden decor said...

Congratulation to all Berkeley College honor students & grads (Class of 2007)!!!!
The Honor Society Induction Ceremony had taken place at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Fairfield NJ April 11, 2007.
And upcoming 2007 Berkeley College graduation will take place at the Continental Airlines Arena on April 27, 2007 9:00AM