Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Events

The weather was looking nice for a couple of days but now we are back to rain. I was starting to enjoy walking through the campus and relaxing outside at the picnic tables between classes. I can’t believe the quarter is almost half way done with and before I know it, it’ll be time to do my schedule for the summer already.

Today was a very sad but meaningful day in the eyes of Berkeley College students because we had a memorial ceremony for the victims of the Virginia Tech School incident. A lot of people showed up for support which was very nice to see. They mentioned the names of all the students that lost their lives, and then we had a moment of silence for everyone affected by the tragedy. Following the moment of silence we had one of our students sing the song “Amazing Grace”.

On Tuesday I had a meeting with Ms.Tripp because she wanted to have a talk with me regarding the International Business Club. I let the club vice president know of the meeting but I could not find her in the Student Center where we were supposed to meet, so I went on my own. Ms.Tripp explained to me how every club needs to organize an event for the school on a specific day. I know we have had some events in the past few quarters but I was not sure if they were mandatory.

After the memorial ceremony I had to go to my club meeting today. I presented them with several ideas of what we can do as our mandatory event, and we decided upon showing a movie and providing pizza to the students. We still need to come up with a plan of how to keep the students in the room so they just don’t eat the pizza and then leave as they have done in the previous quarters. I hope that this event will help us bring in members. We have not yet decided on what specific movie we’ll be showing since the movie has to be educational but fun at the same time.

I’ve spoken to the accounting Club president, and we think that it would be a good idea to bring our clubs together to try and make an event as well. We were thinking of doing something along the lines of a BBQ for the school. Since we are both small clubs, we could join forces and work together as a team to achieve something. This can be a fun way for us to meet new people and learn about other clubs in the process.

No comments: