Thursday, March 22, 2007

Habitat for Humanity

My classes for this quarter are now officially over. Tuesday I finished up my last 2 exams which went pretty well. In my International Business class my group had to present our case study. We ended up doing pretty well in the class, but some people definitely did not put any effort into their work which really surprised me. I was so surprised how lenient and patient my professor was. One group did only half of the project and the professor gave them a chance to present at least what they had but they refused to get up and do it. If I was in his position I wouldn’t have even gave them a chance to do that with the attitude that they were giving him.

When I went to the Leadership Retreat a couple of months back, we spoke to the president of Berkeley College about what kind of activities we can plan to help bring the diverse population of the college together. One idea was to get students to participate in the Habitat for Humanity program. It took a couple of months, but I was excited to see advertisements around the campus about the program as well as on Blackboard, the school website for students.

I went to Mr. Maher, the director of student development to find out more information about the event. The event will take place on April 13th, and everyone has to meet at the school quite early. We are then going to be transported to Paterson, where the Habitat for Humanity headquarters is located. After that, we get our location where we are going to work, and hopefully are able to start the work around 9am. The work will continue from 9am until about noon time, where then we will have lunch. After lunch we will go back to work until about 4pm, and then come back to the campus. The school is providing all of the transportation as well as lunch for all students that are participating!

It’s great to see that what we as student leaders wanted to accomplish, the school is helping us to do so. We told the college president that this is an activity that we are interested in doing, and the Berkeley College staff helped us accomplish our goals. This gives me faith in the school that they will continue to help me on my road to success in college as well as in life with things such as their lifetime job placement assistance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Habitat for Humanity...always thinking of helping others :) Good luck with being President of your own club next quarter I'm sure you'll do a great job and plan a bunch of cool activities.