Monday, December 3, 2007

Upset But Happy

Today Berkeley College is having a blood drive which is a great opportunity for students to help the community. I got excited when I found out because I have never donated blood before and I wanted to help out during the holiday season. What better way to help someone than to give them a chance at life?

Well, I went to the Student Center at 10am, just to find out that I cannot give blood! This is because I was born in Europe and have traveled there. They are afraid that anyone traveling to Western Europe may have the Mad Cow Disease. I found this to be very ridiculous.

We have such a diverse student body at Berkeley that they may be turning away so much potential blood. I’m sure a large number of students here have been born, or traveled to Europe within their lifetime. I was told that the Mad Cow Disease is a very rare disease that is normally not found in humans but could infect the human species if they eat nerve tissue (the brain and spinal cord) of cattle that were infected with mad cow disease. I’m pretty sure I have NEVER in my lifetime eaten cow brain nor spinal cord.

I just think it’s really sad that so many people want to donate but can’t. Many people in the United States are dying because of a lack of blood and people are being turned down because of such slim chances of having a disease. At least I’m glad to see that Berkeley is trying to make a difference by offering the Red Cross to come to the school. The blood that they receive will be a great gift for someone who needs it the most. There is no better holiday gift to give than life.

No comments: