Sunday, November 4, 2007

Scheduling Classes

Last Tuesday I tried to make my schedule in the evening but the line was so long and only one advisor working so I wasn’t able to make it. I went again on a break between my classes but the advisor was still busy with someone. Then a woman came out of one of the offices and told me to leave it in the advisors box and she will call me to tell me if anything is wrong. Finally after filing on Tuesday I got a call back on Friday morning that one of the classes I had chosen I cannot take because it is reserved for freshmen only. Unfortunately, I could not take her call because I was at the career fair in the morning.

I was confused when Ms. Alexander told me that on the voice mail message because the classes I have chosen were my Liberal arts electives that I need to take before graduation. I don’t understand why freshmen would have classes reserved when it’s the people getting closer to graduation that need to take certain classes first. Freshmen have all 3-4 years to take those classes. I called her back at 10am and left a message to call me back as soon as she gets a chance because I have work at 3pm and I cannot take calls at work. So at what time did I get a call back? I got a call back at exactly 3:10 after I clearly said I need a call back before 3pm. This made me a little frustrated because from 10am to 3pm there is a long time to return a call and then getting a call at 3:10 right when I was unavailable was frustrating.

Ms. Alexander then left me another message to now come to her office and discuss the schedule and go over classes in person or try to get in touch with her again. I don’t want to keep playing phone tag because classes are getting filled up fast and I don’t want to get stuck with a class I don’t like. The whole point of leaving it in a mailbox was to omit the long wait on the lines but now I guess I’m going to be stuck doing it again. Hopefully I will get lucky with good timing during my next visit.

The career fair was very nice. We had a nice little orientation at the beginning where Berkeley College staff explained to us what to expect, how to act around company representatives and what to look for. It was very informative and we even got a free flash drive! Even though I did not find any companies that were really interested in marketing major students, I still enjoyed the fair and the free toys we got!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Each year, a new catalog is introduced and students beginning in January of that year follow those program requirements. All courses listed on Blackboard are available for all students from all campuses unless they are reserved. Reserved courses are listed as such because they are held for a specific population of students. The GEC courses, which are General Education Core courses at the 100 level, are now in the new 2008 catalog. Unless students are beginning their program in 2008, these courses are unavailable to them.

We are sure there has been a time when you had a question such as, "Where can I find the courses being offered next quarter"? and wanted to know the answer immediately and didn't have time to stop by the Advisement office or call the College. Advisement has made it very easy for you. Using your computer, you log onto Blackboard->Community->Advisement->"Click Here For Live Help" icon, (first announcement on the page) and chat with a Live Person Advisor who will be on hand to answer your questions and chat with you Monday through Thursday, 9am to 6pm and Fridays 9am to 5pm.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is a Federal Law, which protects the privacy of student educational records. Since the Advisor has no way of knowing the person he/she is chatting with, the Advisor must follow FERPA rules and regulations and not disclose personal information. Therefore, your questions must be general in nature, not personal. For instance, the Advisor cannot answer questions relative to the number of credits you need to graduate, tell you what courses to take, or tell you when you will graduate. To receive the answer to those kinds of questions, you must contact an Advisor at your home campus. The Live Person Advisor can answer general questions such as "What campus will be offering Statistics next quarter"? " What is the phone number of the Bergen Campus"? or "Who do I speak with if I want to transfer"?

Advisement hopes that you try Live Person, you will be amazed how helpful it can be. We are looking forward to chatting with you online.

The Advisement office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8am to 8pm, and Friday 8am to 5pm. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please contact Sophia A. Smith, Dean, Advisement, at chi@BerkeleyCollege.edu or 973-278-5400
extension, 1304.

Sophia A. Smith
Dean, Advisement
Berkeley College
Garret Mountain Campus
44 Rifle Camp Road
West Paterson, NJ 07424
973-278-5400 ext 1304
973-278-2242 (fax)
chi@berkeleycollege.edu
sophia-smith@mymail.berkeleycollege.edu