Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Strongly Disliking the Berkeley Blue Card

I am really starting to dislike the whole Berkeley Blue Card. The other day I finally made my fall schedule, and then I had to go clear myself with the Accounts Dept. When I got there, I found out that I got a refund which made me happy, but then I was told that I cannot get it unless I activate my Berkeley Blue Card! I did not want this card, and I still don’t, but now I feel that I am being forced to open one just so I can get my refund. I then got an e-mail that the college does not know how to give me my refund until I activate my Berkeley Blue Card. All I wanted was to get my refund as a check. This card does not make sense to me because once I activate it, I can still get my refund by check which is one of the options that you can choose. So why activate a card that will affect my credit report when I can still just get a check? I don’t think it’s fair for us to be forced to open an account just to get our refund.

So the other day I went to make my schedule for the fall. I could not take some classes that I need because they are not running in the times that I need. With my graduation date closing in, I am limited to certain classes that I can take. In addition to that, I also have my work schedule to work around as well as other activities. I ended up with Market Research, Business Strategy and Policy, World Cultures and Intercultural Communication. The advisor that helped me schedule my classes was very helpful and even recognized me from being a blogger. Since I already had all my classes picked out, it went by pretty fast and I was done in about five minutes. He was very helpful with questions too. I was looking through the Berkeley College website and I went to look at how the tuition rates have changed. Then I noticed that the amount of credits you can take before having to pay extra has changed from 18 to 16. He assured me that I can still take 18 since I was enrolled in college before the change.

Tomorrow is another club convention for the new incoming students. It should be really interesting to meet new people and see what the new crowd is going to be like. I have to remake our clubs brochure and find an attractive way to bring in new members. Maybe some students will recognize me from being a blogger!

4 comments:

Kerry Maikranz said...

I apologize if you have received misinformation about the Berkeley Blue Card. I think it may be the term "activate" your card that is causing the confusion. 'Activating the card' only means that you are activating a refund preference.

The Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD. There is no credit account established, and no impact on a student's credit score or report. The card is simply a device used for you to go onto the Berkeley Blue Card website and choose a refund preference. There are three choices: (1) you can open an account with Higher One, in which case any refund would be available to you for use on the Berkeley Blue Card as a DEBIT CARD ONLY. (2) ACH transfer, in which case the refund proceeds would be transferred to an existing bank account that you already have or (3) paper check mailed to your address.

Only by choosing to open a Higher One account does the card become a debit card. If you choose either of the other options, the card can be destroyed or stored away. We recommend that you put the card somewhere safe in case you want to go back on the Berkeley Blue Card website and change your preference choice at a later date.

In the past, refund checks were issued directly by Berkeley College. In an effort to expedite the processing of refunds to students, this has been outsourced. The vendor needs to know the manner in which students want to receive their refunds, which is why students are required to choose a preference.

If you choose paper check, there will be no need for you to take further steps, other than keeping your address current with Berkeley College.

I certainly understand the confusion that you may have, since there is a Master Card logo on the card. The Master Card logo allows the card to be used as a debit card on a broad range of systems only if you chose to open an account. It is in no way a Master Card Credit Card. No information was exchanged that would allow any type of credit to be issued.

I would encourage any student who has questions or concerns about the Berkeley Blue Card to go onto www.berkeleybluecard.com, or by all means, contact the Student Acounts Office at your campus. If you could help us to clear up this type of confusion with other students we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your comments - they help us understand how we can improve our communication efforts.


Kerry Maikranz
Director, Student Accounts
Garret Mountain Campus

Anonymous said...

I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

I here am casual, but was specially registered at a forum to participate in discussion of this question.

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me very much in my college assignment. Hats off to you send, choice look progressive for the duration of more interrelated articles without delay as its one of my choice issue to read.