Monday, August 20, 2007

Shadowing

I am so sleepy! Its nine fifty in the morning and I am sitting in my Statistics class waiting for the professor to show up. My Forensic Science class let out early today so I have a little time to spare. Today was a very interesting class. We learned about DNA and also got to watch the OJ Simpson trial. The movie was a bit long but it was a lot better than taking notes all class! Before we started watching the movie the professor gave us all the details of the trial and all the mistakes that were made. It was amazing to me how many mistakes were actually made for this trial when it came to collecting evidence and preserving them correctly! Next week were learning about finger printing and more details on DNA. That should be exciting!

I wonder what we’re learning in Statistics today. Last class I had to leave early to prepare for the Freshman Fest so I didn’t get all the notes. In class today I asked Maria to lend me her notes and luckily they were very neat and easy to follow. It turns out I ended up only missing a small part of the lesson which made me relieved.

Recently I have been having a lot of thoughts about my career, and where exactly I would like to go with it. I have had a lot of thoughts of starting a business of event planning. I’m a very organized person, I have always made appointments, been good with following up on things as well as I have always loved working with people. I like the idea and think it would be fun, but things in theory often sound a lot different than things turn out in reality. To pursue something like this, I’ll have to contact the Career Services Department and see if they offer something along the lines of job shadowing. I know it’s similar to an internship, but it’s a lot less formal and likely not a whole quarter commitment. I did something similar in High School when I was interested in starting a fitness center. When I actually shadowed the owner of a fitness center I totally changed my mind about wanting to own one! Shadowing is a quick way to find out if what you are interested in is really what you want to do. Hopefully I can get some insight to my new idea!

Well, the professor has arrived, so I have to go do some learning now!

No comments: