Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Career Fair Spring 2009

Only three days left until graduation and I have finally started practicing my speech. I know it’s late but I have been very caught up with other work where it was hard to find the time. I invited everyone that I could think of and I’m very excited to see everyone there. I will be going to JCPenney’s to have to graduation pictures taken because it is much cheaper. They only change $3.99 for a sheet which includes any type of pictures that can fit on a piece of paper. They really have a great deal. Here is the link for their Photo Studio.

Last Friday was the career fair which was held at the Radisson Hotel in NYC. The location was beautiful and I had a really good time. I woke up early so that I could get to the bus station and for some reason I felt very draggish all day. I was debating with myself about 10 times if I want to go or not even thought I knew that I had to go. I got to the bus at about 9am, and I arrived in the city at about 9:45. I got really lucky because the day was beautiful.

The hotel was very easy to get to from Port Authority. Google maps helps when it comes to directions. Not only can you get driving directions but you can even get walking directions too. It took me about 15 minutes to walk to the hotel. I arrived there and at first I was confused where to go but then I asked the front desk. The career fair was on the second floor in a very large rooms. There were about 50 different companies there. A lot of them were fashion companies, state and government jobs and then there were a fair amount of private companies as well.

I knew that I would likely not find a job there because I am looking to relocate to South Jersey but I figured I would go network and give it a shot anyway. I spoke to many students because I wanted to let them know that my company is expanding as well. I was unable to have a table at the career fair because Berkeley already had a company that covered the financial field. I didn’t mind walking around and talking to students because it seemed much more personal than just sitting down and expecting people to come to me.

Everyone seemed to be so excited about the graduation. They all couldn’t wait to walk up that stage and show everyone what they have accomplished. I ended up leaving the career fair around 12:30. I took a slow stroll through the city, eating my Nuts 4 Nuts peanuts, relaxing and enjoying the pace of the city. This was my first experience going to a career fair in NYC and it was a great one. I look forward to attending another one.

No comments: