Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Benefits of Being Involved

When I was in college it seemed that students thought that getting involved in their school was a waste of time for them. Since Berkeley College is mostly a commuter school students were in and out and didn’t do much more besides go to classes. When I look at students at Berkeley now, I see a totally different atmosphere around the campus. There is a much better attitude among the students.

I always loved getting involved because it kept me occupied and I was able to stand out among my peers. I was able to participate and be involved in great things that many were not. These things involved Leadership Retreats, Leadership seminars, meetings with the President as well as various Board Members and much more. All the experience that I got was very helpful to my resume.

I still try to get involved today and reap the benefits of it. The other day Amy Young, the Student Development Director, asked me if I would be interested in a ticket to see Jesus Christ Superstar at the NJPAC. Jesus Christ Superstar is a musical that was very popular about 30 years ago when a group of people tried to remake the story of Jesus into a fun and entertaining musical. They got a lot of negative feedback because people were offended about what they have done but they kept the show going anyway and made it into a very popular musical that is back today. Of course I said that I would go! The show was on Saturday and it was so much fun. I got to see a lot of Berkeley students I have not seen in a while and chat about what is new on campus. We had really good seats, front row on the third tier. I didn’t end up getting home until about 11pm, but it was very well worth it.

Only two more weeks until graduation! I still have not practiced my speech but I will get on it today. I don’t want to over practice it because it won’t sound natural if I have it memorized like a poem. I still have to let everyone at work know about the graduation and that they are all welcome to come. I can’t wait, I am so excited.

No comments: