Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bad Economy Hitting Me

One more day until graduation day and I am slowly starting to get anxious. Lucky for me I don’t really get nervous, I just get anxious and excited. I never had a hard time talking in front of people and doing presentations. I know for some people it’s a very hard experience to go through and it creates a lot of problems for them. I hope that I can sleep well tonight so I am well rested for tomorrow morning!

The economy has been doing very poorly for a little over a year now where people have been really feeling the stress of everything sinking. People can’t retire because their retirement plans sunk, families are losing their homes because they can’t make payments, children are living in stress because they see their parents worry and cry and the nation is suffering. It seems like everything just turned sour with a snap of a finger.

The poor economy has not been affecting me personally because I am fortunate to have a good job, a home to live in and I am still able to bring in a paycheck each month. This all changed yesterday when I got my first punch from the economy. For the first time I saw people I know and care about get fired right in front of my eyes because of the economy. Two days ago was the budget election for public schools to see if the budget passes or fails. The budget ended up not being passed and some teachers had to be laid off. The high school was already going to lay off 7 people because of lack of funds but now they have to lay off even more. There were three additional people that I know of that got laid off all in the same day.

It was such a hard sight to see because I know and care about these people. Some cried, some looked very upset and some just tried to laugh it off but you could see that they were really hurt and devastated on the inside. Some of them were very good teachers but when it comes to jobs its last in first out. If you were to last one to be hired, you are likely to be the first one fired. It’s a really scary world out there. You are living paycheck to paycheck and you don’t even know if you will have a job next month to take care of your family with.

I hope that things change soon. We are bailing out these huge companies where the CEO’s and owners are sitting happy and won’t contribute any of their money to fix the mistakes they made. While all these bailouts are going on people are starving and losing their homes because the money instead of going back to where it came from (taxpayer’s money) it’s going to companies that many of us are not even associated with.

No comments: