Tuesday, August 12, 2008

UGH at Job Searching!

Last week I have begun job searching for a full time job and I am excited about the process already! I will be graduating mid September and I want to get something lined up for myself so that I am ready to go when I graduate. I am planning on moving to the South Jersey section primarily Burlington County because it’s a really nice area and the economy is pretty good.

I started off with putting my resume on CareerBuilder, Monster, HotJobs and of course the Berkeley CareerZone. My resume was already updated and reviewed since I have taken the Placement Seminar class before I started my internship. Before students take this class they complain that it not something their interested in but once they take it they realized how many things they have learned. I personally loved the class. I didn’t realize how many errors I had on my resume and how much better I could be at interviews. I learned basic questions that employers ask and how to answer them correctly. This is the kind of education that other colleges and universities do not offer.

So I have been e-mailing with Mr. Castro for a bit to see what kind of suggestions he has for me since I have started looking. At first he sent me an e-mail that I should come in and review my resume and interview skills. When I thought about it I thought why am I going to go there to review my resume when I already did that during Placement Seminar? Well I decided to go down there anyway because you never know what kind of tips you can get and what you may learn.

When I went there Mr. Castro welcomed me and I told him my situation and my goals. I told him that I was having issues with CareerZone and he showed me how I can get the best use of the website and these were great tips. He directed me to a website called Indeed where you can search jobs not only from search engines but from individual companies as well. At first I was confused but this is how it works. Say you are searching for a job on CareerBuilder and you find jobs. The jobs that you find are only the jobs that were posted by employers on Career Builder. Then say you have Comcast who posts their job only in the Career’s Section of their website. These jobs are obviously not going to show up on CareerBuilder because the employer did not post them there. What Indeed does is combines the two search options and when you search you get results from search engines such as CareerBuilder AND private websites. Great idea huh!

So for now I am continuing on my job search and keeping touch with Mr. Castro because he is a great help. This process can get annoying and aggravating but it is the journey of all college graduates!

No comments: