Monday, August 25, 2008

Lots of Work!

As you know the end of the quarter is approaching and just like any other end of the quarter work is piling up and I need to keep up. I would say that my Sociology class is the most time consuming because the professor gives us a lot of work for an online class. Last week for example I had to do 2 discussion boards where you have to make a main post and then respond at least 2 times to your classmates, 4-6 different videos you have to watch, read two chapters from the book about 40 pages long each, read and review 2 PowerPoint presentations, read lecture notes as well as other materials that the professor provides. It’s a lot of work!

One thing I love in this class is the National Geographic’s website that the professor introduced us to. I always knew their website existed but I never bothered with the videos that they had. I love going to the website when I have spare time and watch different videos about the different cultures we have in this world. Its funny and interesting at the same time to see how different people see different things. For example my most eye opening video was of people who scarred themselves on purpose because they believed that scars made you beautiful.

In the modern world we may think that’s crazy and how could that be beautiful but you have to look at the the different things that we do that would sound crazy to other people. We pluck and fax our hairs, put on makeup and fancy clothing etc. We harm our bodies a lot more than those people do with different chemicals and peals we apply to our faces not to mention all the plastic surgeries people get. It’s interesting when you try to compare us to people in undeveloped countries we are not that much different.

Tomorrow is another SGA meeting and I am very excited to bring back to the students what we learned about at the Leadership follow up. We have a lot of explanations to issues that we have brought up which will make them very happy. They will also be happy to know that we let the right people know of the issues and that they will be working to fix them in the right times.

No comments: