Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Life and Motions

This morning I woke up at 5am with the worse sore throat ever. Because I work at my own convenience I decided to not go to work because I want to rest and get rid of this sore throat. Now that I have had some extra time, I have decided to reflect back on my college career and give people some advice.

The number one thing that hit me the most is how many changes you go through not during college but after college. Throughout your education even though you are on your own you are still sheltered by the people around you. The best way for me to describe this is through different bodies of water. For example when you are in high school it’s like you are in a fish bowl. You meet different people, you still live at home, you get fed on time, people clean up your messes, look out for you, take care of you etc.

When you reach college you are now in a pond or a lake. You get to meet a larger variety of people, you have more freedom of where you can swim, you don’t have as much restrictions, more options are available to you such as clubs, organization etc but you are still pretty sheltered by the people around you. Sometimes environmentalists come in to clean up lakes and ponds to make the water better, sometimes they come in and put more fish in. Similar things happen when you are in college. You have tutors to help you, recruiters bring more students in for you to meet and there is help everywhere in case you need it.

When you finally graduate college and you are done with your education you have finally reached the ocean. Now you are free, happy, think you can do anything and then reality hits you that you are on your own. There is nobody there to hold your hand and you hit the survival of the fittest instinct. You have to learn to control your own time, be responsible on your own, take care of yourself and make things happen for yourself. You have the whole ocean available to you but where you go and what you do is up to you. You just have to be very careful where traps and dangers are lurking.

The changes that I noticed in myself after graduation are amazing. I have met a lot of great people that have rubbed off on me which helped me change my personality and perspective on life. I was never a fan of change because I like things organized but I realized in real life there is no such thing as no change. Change happens every day and you have to adjust in order to survive. I have definitely become more independent and can make my own decisions much better.

Many times your personality doesn’t fully develop until you move out of the house and you are in a totally different environment. Being around people you know and family you tend to act a certain way but being around new people you also act different. When you spend enough time with new people and don’t have to meet certain expectations of people you know, you change your perspective on things and your personality. Your priorities shift where what once was important no longer is and what once wasn’t important now is.

In a nut shell there are many changes awaiting you when you graduate college. Sometimes people don’t believe a thing until it happens to them but this is something that I have experienced firsthand. As much as I don’t like change it’s something I had to adjust to and just go with the flow. College is an adventure but life after college is an even bigger adventure! Just think, it’s like having the WHOLE ocean to explore!!!

No comments: