Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Back to School

Wow, I haven’t written on here for a while. That’s because of my break from Berkeley as well as my mini vacation I took camping. The Berkeley College break lasts a week, and it was a nice break from everything I had going on.

So, several new things have been going on around the campus since I left. The newest thing that has entered the campus is a Berkeley Advantage Card. With this card, students can use it as a credit card, learn to manage their finances with an easy to operate online account and parents can also put money on the card for you. These are only a few of the benefits that it offers. Another beneficial thing I noticed about the card is that it is really easy to use and register online.

Since I took an interest in the card, I decided to speak to some other students about the Berkeley Advantage Card. To my surprise, students were not all that thrilled about it. Some felt that they do not need the card because they already have other credit cards with advantages that fit into their lifestyles from other companies. They felt that they should have had an option of signing up for the card instead of cards being mailed straight to their homes with their name on it. Many were confused, concerned that the college gave away their personal information to credit card companies and that’s why they are receiving the card. However, some students may not have noticed that the card is not activated until you go through an activation process. Some students felt that the card really has no advantages for them and some were even confused as to where this card even came from and what it does for them. I guess everyone has a different opinion when it comes to this card.

The other day I was walking from class to another class, and I noticed that a whole wooded area was chopped down behind one of the buildings! There was a gazebo by those woods, and I’ve seen some students sit there sometimes with their friends. I remember two or three quarters ago we filmed a project for one of our classes in that area. It’s really sad to see it go, but I wonder what they are going to be building there next.

So far I have had three classes for this quarter. Thursday is going to be my last class that I have not yet been to. This quarter I am taking Forensic Science, Statistics, Graphical Business Presentation and Macroeconomics. So far my professors have been really nice and very understanding. Sometimes professors tend to not be reasonable, but Berkeley College professors are very easy to talk to. Hopefully this quarter will go as well as the last one has!

1 comment:

Timlin said...

Hi Aleksandra, I believe you’re referencing the Berkeley BlueCard (though you call it the Berkeley Advantage Card) in this blog post. It was interesting to hear your feedback on the card introduction at your school. Thank you for writing on this topic. Did you have any knowledge that the card was coming before it arrived in the mail? I’d like to find out how we can make students less suspicious of the card. Any ideas?