Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Back We Go

Vacation time is over, and it’s time to get my butt back to school! Vacation was nice but way too short. Yesterday I went to school so that I can help out Berkeley College staff with the Freshman Orientation. It was a lot of fun and I’m glad I volunteered.

At first we did a small orientation for the volunteers so that we knew what we were doing and what games we should play as ice breakers. When it was time for the orientation to begin we had several speakers to address the new students. After the speakers opened, the big group got split into two. One group went inside and learned about Blackboard and the second half stayed with us and played games.

My favorite game to play was the Toilet Paper game because it really allowed students to let loose and express themselves. The game starts off with the premise that everyone is living together for a week and each person is to take as much sheets of TP from one shared roll they would need for that week. After each person takes the amount they need, everyone has to share some information about themselves for each sheet of TP that they took. The game was very fun and allowed people to learn about one another, I wish that we had more time for games.

After the games we had lunch which was really good! There were salads, stuffed shells, pasta, subs, drinks and much more. After lunch, the students were allowed to leave and a second session of orientation began. I had to leave for work so I could not stay for the second session, but I did get a free T-Shirt!

Today is going to be my first class. I’m excited because the class sounds interesting. I hope that the professor can make the class interesting for us as well. When I went through my schedule I noticed that two of the professors I’ve had before are going to be my professors this quarter.

I went to the career services link today to see what they have available. I like that Berkeley gives you easy access to different job openings in case you want to find a part time job. One thing I wish they would do is either date the posts of positions or remove ads that are no longer valid. I’ve called a place once just to find out that the job has been expired for a long time and the position has been filled months ago. I felt a little embarrassed calling them and finding that out.

No comments: