Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Milestones

Hello everyone! Summer is gone and the weather is getting colder by the day. I was almost surprised how after Labor Day fall made an entrance right away and didn’t spare the summer any time. It’s officially been a year since I have graduated college and boy what a journey it has been. I was lucky to still be able to participate in a lot of Berkeley activities which made me feel like I was still in college but now that I’ve moved away it’s a lot different.

Many times people feel that once you hit 21 all your birthday milestones are over. First you become a teenager, then you have your sweet 16, then you become legal and turn 18 and lastly yours 21 and now you can drink and get into every bar and club (Except boys, sometimes they require you to be 23! He he). From my experience yes, your age milestones are over but you are far from finishing reaching certain milestones.

Now I totally see why people should go to college right after HS rather than work and then go. Once you start earning that money and you get the taste of that money it’s hard to set it aside. Once you earn money you have the tendency to spend it. Maybe you will move out, maybe you will spend it on something that needs monthly payments and then you can’t stop working to go to college because those payments have to be made. Word of advice, if it’s possible, go to college right away!

My latest milestones have been getting my first full time job, getting your first out of college car and moving out on your own. Getting my first full time job was very liberating. I now support myself and I no longer rely on someone else to care for me. Getting your first car feels very achieving because you know you earned it. It’s your baby and you now care for it more than any other car you have had before because you know that you’re responsible for it. If you break it, you have to fix it!

Moving out on my own had definitely been the biggest step for me by far. It has its good sides and it has its bad sides. The good side is that it’s very freeing. You can do what you want, when you want, don’t have to tell anyone where you are going, when you will be back etc. You do things as you please and you have all the freedom you want. On the downside it can sometimes get lonely. I’m very family oriented and sometimes it’s hard for me not to have them around. Another downside is now you need to make rent payments and buy food! You never know how much living on your own costs until you do it so throw those estimates you may have made away!

Life has been really good to me though so I really can’t complain. I have great people around me that do help me get through certain things when life gets tough. It’s very important to keep people close to you and never burn bridges because this world is small and you never know who you may need.

No comments: