Friday, June 12, 2009

What's Important in Picking a College?

Picking a college can be a very challenging process for both parents and students. There are a lot of factors that count and what’s challenging is that students and parents find different factors to matter more than others. For example a student might want small classes and fun activities while a parent might want good price and well educated professors. In the end everyone has to be happy with the decision if parents are helping you pay for college.

It seems like with different generations important factors change over time. Today I believe that for students college is no longer only about education. College is about meeting people, having fun activities, opportunities to grow among your peers, developing good relationships and networking. In life education is only half of what you need. Creating good relationships and networking is very important especially when you graduate college. I never understood why everyone always kept telling me how important networking is. I always thought, “Oh, if I meet this person today they will never remember me in the future”. I never thought that I would need contacts where I could refer to down the line. When I graduated I realized how important networking and creating relationship really is.

The beauty of Berkeley is that it allows students to get a great education and have networking opportunities. Activities between students are very important because you get to meet people with the same goals as you and you are on the same level. Never burn your bridges, you just never know who you will need in life. I have already helped two past Berkeley students get a job with my company where they are thriving and building their business.

Berkeley had a great event called the Spring Soiree. It was like a semi formal dinner/dance where certain students got to go to and networking with other staff members and teachers. Check out some of the pictures:

No comments: